- Successful cyber attacks are likely to result in either a loss or corruption / theft of data, and possibly the disabling of services.
- Disable and log off a specific user account to prevent access.
- Disable and log off a group of user accounts which access a particular service that is being attacked.
- Disable and dismount specific (network) devices, for instance disk devices that are being swamped.
- Disable specific applications, for example, an e-mail system subjected to a SPAM attack.
- Close down an entire system, and divert processing to an alternative or backup service on a secondary network.