- The incorrect labelling of information may lead to disclosure of that information into the public domain, resulting in loss of client confidence in your organisation.
- Label both physically and electronically stored information, to ensure that the information is handled according to your organisation's rules.
- Physical labelling of documents, hardware items and removable media should include security classifications. Bar-code labels may be an option for hardware items.
- Electronic labelling for computer based information needs to be introduced. This could be at the folder level for sensitive and confidential information.
- Consider using password controls and / or cryptography / check-summing for highly confidential information.
- Labelling systems should not be overcomplicated, as the overhead may outweigh the value of the items being protected.
- See also Access Control.